Thursday, November 11, 2010

Advent {Calendar}

I have been really wanting to buy an advent calendar for the past few years, and while shopping for one this year I came across this cute Pottery Barn one. I fell in love, but didn't think I could stomach spending $69 {plus shipping & handling} on something that I think I could make . . . especially when I have so. much. stuff. stashed away from old projects. {I have an extreme amount of felt left over from when I was making {this} quiet book, and have been trying to figure out what to do with it. Ah. Ha. Moment}. Anyway, so instead of posting my completed advent calendar I decided to post as I go so that, if you feel the rush that I did, you can follow along.

We only have 2 1/2 weeks left! So that's A LOT of sewing to do if we want it done in time. You in for a challenge?! I know I am! So join me, or save the ideas {if you even like them} for next year when you have a little more time.

Here's the inspiration . . . cute, right!?
I like to sketch out how I want to do things before I dive in. I decided {I think} to just make mine a square instead of a Christmas tree. Although I'm making all of the pockets first, so I can always change my mind if I feel like it. There are a few pockets that I'm not sure what to do with yet . . . but I have plenty to "use" from the Pottery Barn one. Just haven't decided yet.
I'm cutting my pockets out of felt {but am not eliminating the idea of using some scrap fabric on anything either}. Each pocket is 4" x 5 1/2". {By the way, my camera must have been on a funky setting because the red I used is NOT that bright or orange. It's just a regular deep red}. I traced my circles using a "token" {aka poker chip . . . my kids earn tokens for good behavior . . . we don't actually play poker . . . if you were wondering. lol}. I'm going to make two of these, and then two more just like this using deep green for the pocket and lime green for the polka dots.

We have 25 to make and only 19 days to do it, so I'm giving myself the goal of making at least 2 pockets a day {but shooting for more like 3} so I have time to sew them all onto the main/big fabric and stitch all of the numbers on. I'm hand stitching most of them since I run around like a crazy taxi driver all week and sit through hours of sports with my kids. I actually prefer the hand stitched look anyway {not to mention every time I try to machine stitch felt it always stretches in absurd ways}.
So good luck! Let me know if you're following along so I can post more sketches the day before of the pockets I'm going to do.

And last note: it's good to be back!

3 comments:

  1. I LOVE this! I'm going to put it on my to do list to have up for next Christmas. I've been eyeing that same advent calendar at Pottery Barn but hoping it would go on clearance after Christmas. This is even better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. very cute, and it's good to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just found your blog through "how to make a quietbook" I've been working on that project for a while now and have just added THIS advent calender to my list of crafts to make when I am not wiping bums and feeding babies! I hope to have it done in time to USE next December. Thats a good time frame, right? Right!
    Thank you so much! I am looking forward to venting my creative juices!
    Oh and we also use poker chips for tokens! Works like a charm!

    ReplyDelete